The London that ticks to a different beat
Join us on a guided walk through the West End looking for pockets of London where time ticks to a different beat.
In a city addicted to speed, we’ll reclaim the right to dawdle and the pleasures of observing. From seasonal change to gradual erosion, we’ll enjoy the ways the capital quietly resists the frenzied rhythms of metropolitan life. We’ll notice architectural details and monuments that pay tribute to the slow. And we’ll celebrate those rebels who rail against the rush with their wilful sloth.
London In Slow Motion is led by Rosie Oliver, founder of Dotmaker Tours. Listen to Rosie introduce the walk.
London In Slow Motion has been developed in collaboration with Cathy Haynes, former Timekeeper in Residence at the UCL Petrie Museum of Ancient Egyptology.
‘an intensely enriching experience … we’d definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to experience a different side to a city they think they already know’.
From Slow It Down eZine review
What to expect
London In Slow Motion guided walk challenges tour-goers to look at Central London afresh, by re-focussing on slowness. Tour goers will:
- • explore the area around the Strand, Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden, with its busy streets and hidden alleys
- • take time to experience stillness and to notice the different tempos and rhythms of the city
- • find out about changes in the capital taking place imperceptibly slowly
- • be shown architectural features and monuments that pay tribute to slow
- • hear about different ways that Londoners – from artists to reformers – have used slowness as a strategy
Scheduled public walks
2018: Saturday 24 March, Saturday 12 May and Saturday 6 October.
Meet: 2pm by Cleopatra’s Needle, Victoria Embankment, a few minutes walk from Embankment tube and Temple tube. End: By Seven Dials, Covent Garden. Duration: 2 hours 15 mins (approx)
Suitable for: Adults. The walk involves going up and down steps and up a steep hill.
Tickets: £15 adults; £12 over 65s, full-time students with proof of status. Price includes a morsel of slow food. Booking essential, whether you wish to buy tickets or redeem gift vouchers.
Private group bookings
This walk is available to groups throughout the year. Visit our groups pages to find out more.