Power, pollution & danger
On this riverside walk we track down the unmarked monuments and buried tubes around Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs. We seek out their stories of power, pollution and danger.
We start by speeding across the Thames by Clipper from Greenwich Pier to Masthouse Terrace Quay. From there it’s a 3 and a half mile ‘dot-to-dot’ walk as we link together the chimneys above our heads, sometimes tracing the routes of tunnels.
Note to budding steeplejacks and subterranean explorers: leave your harnesses, torches and hard hats at home! Apart from the descent into one tunnel, we’ll keep our feet firmly on ground level as we let our minds wander above and below.
Rosie provided a fascinating and informative walking tour. Well organised and highly interesting. We had a very enjoyable day and shall be booking another tour soon! Thanks Rosie 🙂
What to expect
This two and a half hour guided walk gives an insight into the many layers of history that make up Greenwich, through stories about past and present chimneys and tunnels. Tour goers will:
- • cross the Thames by Clipper boat and return beneath it through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel.
- • explore riverside Greenwich and the Isle of Dogs with its spectacular views of the Royal Naval College, and pass round Greenwich Park and the Queen’s House.
- • learn about the area’s industrial history, the world’s largest ship, the early railways, London’s smoky smelly past and its tubular infrastructure.
- • find out about hidden tunnels, unmarked chimneys, eighteenth century mass hysteria and other seldom-told stories.
- • hear how the powerful – from pier owners to the Astronomers Royal – have influenced the area’s development.
2018: Saturday 5th May (2.30-5.15pm), Sunday 15th July (11am-1.30pm), Saturday 15th September (2.30-5.15pm) and Saturday 20th October (2.30-5.15pm).
Meet: Greenwich Pier ticket office, a few minutes early. Tour goers will need to buy a Thames Clipper ticket (single) for the river crossing from Greenwich Pier to Masthouse Terrace. Tour ends: back at Greenwich Pier.
Suitable for: adults and over 16s. Walk involves going up and down stairs and crossing roads.
Tickets: £15 (full price); £12 (concessions). Price includes a smoky snack. It does not include the cost of the Thames Clipper river crossing. Booking essential, whether you wish to buy tickets or redeem gift vouchers.